Tuesday, September 29, 2026

The Witches of Cambridge by Alice Hoffman

I enjoy Alice Hoffman's stories, especially those involving witches and magic (see Practical Magic). Her books are not in the fantasy genre but rather in the magical realism vein. That's a big difference for me.

Set at Radcliffe College in the 1950s, it follows two women: Ava, a young woman whose abilities as a witch were kept from her, and Lauren, from a prominent Cambridge family who uses her magic whenever possible. Both are selected to join the Lilith Society, a college secret society for witches only. Here they learn the history of witches in Massachusetts, especially the Salem witch trials. It is here that Ava discovers letters written in the 1600s that help her understand witchcraft and the burden that goes with it. As Lauren and Ava bond, they rely on each other to navigate the politically charged era of McCarthyism, misogyny, and the limited freedom women were allowed. 

This book opened my eyes to just how recent women were allowed societal freedom. Even now, as our right to govern our own bodies is being withdrawn, we still have rights we (I) take for granted. The Witches of Cambridge is an entertaining and enlightening book. It is beautifully written and weaves the past and present into a riveting read. I loved how Ava and Lauren grew as women and how they drew on each other's strengths. I believe this may be the beginning of a new series. If so, I can't wait for the next book.

 4/5 stars.

For more information:

Amazon | Barnes & Noble


No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts